My mother has heard those words -- the theme to Days of Our Lives -- almost every day since 1965, the problems of the Hortons and the Bradys providing a warm, reassuring stability as the days and weeks and years pass with lightning speed. I've watched only at my annual Christmas visits, when the characters are giving each other presents and saying "I hope the New Year will be better." It never is.
But now, at least, gay people are participating in the angst.
1. When Sonny reveals that he's gay, Will (left) is shocked, but eventually says he's ok with it.
2. He breaks up with his girlfriend Mia, arguably because he's into her ex-boyfriend Chad (Casey Diedrick).
3. He gets a new girlfriend, Gabi, but he rebuffs her sexual advances, and they break up.
5. In March, he tells his grandmother Marlena that he's gay. She's ok with it.
6. He tells everyone else in the cast, one at a time. Their reactions are all positive.
7. By the summer of 2012, he is dating Sonny.
9. He befriends Michael Corinthos (Chad Duell, previously a Disney hunk with credits on The Wizards of Waverly Place and Sonny with a Chance) who murdered his stepmother and was raped in prison.
Soap buzz is that they may be the next DOOL power couple.