Nov 14, 2013

Summer 1981: Adam and I Sleep Together, Sort Of

During my junior year at Augustana College, I knew lots of guys who liked guys at night, in the dark, but they always went back to their chants of "girls! girls! girls!" in the morning.  I kept looking for guys who were gay, who continued to dream of masculine smiles in the daytime.  They were impossible to find; Corey, who wanted to teach me to fly; Hal, who challenged me to a dating contest; Bruce, who didn't like to be called gay -- all were straight, or claimed to be.

What about Adam Horowitz, manager of the Student Union bookstore?  He never dated girls; when pressed, he claimed to be in love with an icy Hitchcockian blonde, but gave no more details.  He never dated boys, either.  We had a "date" in March 1981, with a thwarted kiss under the Bell Tower,  but that was the only time I saw him away from his counter in the bookstore.

Until the summer of 1981,  when the Film Club took a road trip to Madison, Wisconsin, about 3 hours away, for an Italian Film Festival, two days of Fellini, Antonioni, Pasolini, and Zeffirelli.

The rest of the story, with nude photos, is on Tales of West Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No comments that use abusive or vulgar language or point out that a character is Not Wearing a Sign.