Sesame Street graduated to The Electric Company (1971-77). Instead of "Come and play, everything's a-ok," they yelled "We're gonna turn it on, we're gonna bring you the power!" They taught you words with Saturday Night Live-style parodies of everything from Julia Child to The Six Million Dollar Man.
I never saw it, but I imagine that, like Sesame Street, there was only limited gay content. Maybe just Morgan Freeman naked in a bathtub.
The kids were:
1. Athletic Hector (Josh Segarra, left)
2. His feminine-coded sidekick Keith (Ricky Smith, right)
3. His sister, singer/dancer Jessica (P-Star)
4. Intellectual Lisa (Jenni Barber)
5. Young gun Marcus (Coy Stewart)
Unlike the 1970s series, there was significant buddy-bonding between Hector and Keith, as well as between the main Pranksters, the hefty Manny (Dominic Colon) and Danny (William Jackson Harper).
And gay content. Between the 2006 pilot and the 2009 premiere, Josh Segarra starred in the gay-themed comedy The Boys Upstairs off Broadway.