Jan 28, 2016
Why You Should Visit South Dakota Next August
I had never seen the Cowboy States, and Lee had never been out of Southern California (except for his visit to a kibbutz in Israel). We planned every moment of that trip! Portland, Seattle, Yellowstone National Park, Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore!
Do you know what happens in South Dakota during the first week in August? We didn't. We do now.
1. All hotels within 150 miles double their rates, and fill up anyway.
2. All highways, streets, roadways, and dirt tracks swarm with motorcycles, because:
3. 500,000 motorcycle enthusiasts converge in the tiny town of Sturgis for a week-long bacchanal.
5. And about 100,000 hairy, husky, muscular, tattooed bears
6. Who parade around downtown naked.
10. Some of them are gay, and most of the others have a non-homophobic "laissez faire" attitude.
11. Did I mention that there are 100,000 hairy, husky, muscular, tattooed bears?
There have always been some gay bikers in the crowd, but since 2007 they have had an official presence. The Gay Community Center has a booth, there are gay men's biker events, and the Hawgs Dawgs, a gay/ bi/ straight biker group, makes an annual pilgrimage.
See also: The Top 16 Public Penises of the Cowboy States