1. It's in the far north of the state, near the Canadian border, about 500 miles from the nearest gay neighborhood.
2. The population is 90% white.
3. The temperature at this writing is -12 degrees.
4. The local art museum consists of two rooms.
5. There is only one gay-friendly church.
7. Minot State University doesn't have a drama department or a swim team. It does have wrestling.
Minot has both power lifting and bodybuilding clubs.
That means a lot of muscular guys available for dates.
Of course, you might have to drive into Fargo.