Spartacus (111-71 BC) was a gladiator who led a slave revolution that threatened the Roman Republic. Although there's no evidence that he was fighting against slavery as an institution, he's been portrayed as a freedom fighter ever since.
And as a muscleman on a par with Hercules.
Here are the top screen hunks who put their biceps to work at Spartacus.
1. Mario Ausonia played Spartaco in a 1913 Italian silent version.
More after the break.
6. Carlos Acosta performed in Spartacus: The Ballet (1956) with the Bolshoi in 2006. Dancing gladiators.
7. But Vlad Vasiliev was most famous for the role, beginning in 1977.
8. In the Starz network version (2010-2013), Andy Whitfield played Spartacus in the first season, before tragic death from cancer.
9. After a "prequel" season, Liam McIntyre.took over the role.
10. Most recently, Daniel Roche played Spartacus in a school play in the British sitcom Outnumbered (2014).
See also: An Interview with Spartacus