But in spite of the homophobia, there was a lot of beefcake. Men took off their shirts regularly, in frat houses, swimming pools, locker rooms, on wilderness treks. Some famous, others obscure. Here are 10 forgotten beefcake boys, actors who surprised us by displaying impressive physiques in one or two movies, and and then vanished.
Or at least never took off their clothes again.
2. Anthony Edwards (above) stripped down to his rather impressive underwear by customs agents in Gotcha (1985).
3, Ilan Mitchell-Smith, now a history professor, in underwear in Weird Science (1985). Also starring a semi-nude Michael Anthony Hall and a bare-butt Bill Paxton.
5. Don Michael Paul (left) in The Brotherhood of Justice (1986).
6. Jsu Garcia, killed while naked in Nightmare on Elm Street (1984).
8. The super-muscular Anthony Starke in Return of the Killer Tomatoes (1988). You heard me.
10. William Zabka (left) as Chas in Back to School. He also played a shirtless bully in Karate Kid (1984, 1986)
See also: Gay Nerds of the 1980s