Here are 8 Gay Reasons to visit:
1. It's the most linguistically diverse place on Earth, with 850 languages in many different families. Most people communicate in Tok Pisin, the only pidgin language to attain official status. It is based on a trade form of English. The Tok Pisin word for penis is kok, or kandare ("uncle").
3. Anthropologists are most likely to document age-gradiated same-sex activity, so they can write that the men aren't really gay. But some have been brave enough to note tribes where the adult men favor same-sex relations as noble and invigorating, and think of heterosexual relations as a necessary evil.
5. Michael Rockefeller, the "secretly" gay son of New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller, also found a safe haven in New Guinea. Until he was killed and eaten.
6. Melanesian men tend to be extremely muscular.
On the other hand:
1. It's very dangerous, with a sky-high crime rate. Port Moresby has a homicide rate of 54 per 100,000, the same as Detroit and New Orleans.
2. It's one of the most homophobic countries in the world. Not quite Saudi Arabia, but close. male same-sex acts are criminalized, with the penalty of 14 years in prison.
3. Officially, the population is "horrified" by the Western concept of gay people.
5. Flights to Port Moresby from the U.S. cost about $4,000, and you have to change planes in Sydney. Why not just stay there, and have a nice holiday in one of the most gay-friendly cities in the world instead?