Others prefer Mike Henry's suave 1960s James Bond-style Tarzan, Denny Miller's beach boy, Ron Ely's lanky environmentalist, or Miles O'Keeffe's New Sensitive Tarzan of the 1980s. But there have been many others. Twenty men have played Tarzan since Elmo Lincoln in 1918. All provided ample beefcake, but some were better than others at evoking homoromantic subtexts:
2. Herman Brix, who changed his name to Bruce Bennett so he wouldn't sound German, competed with Weissmuller in two movies, The New Adventures of Tarzan (1935) and Tarzan and the Green Goddess (1938). His Tarzan was cultured, sophisticated, and spoke proper English. He rescued girls, but never fell in love with them.
5. Jock Mahoney, at age 44, became the oldest Tarzan in Tarzan Goes to India (1962) and Tarzan's Three Challenges (1963). He doesn't have a girlfriend, but in Three Challenges he gets a sidekick, the young Thai prince Kashi (Ricky Der).
7. Joe Lara starred in Tarzan in Manhattan (1989), with Jane as a cab driver, and Tarzan: The Epic Adventures (1996-97), with no Jane.
9. The last live-action Tarzan on the big screen was played by Casper Van Dien in 1998. He's engaged to Jane Porter.
10. In 2003-4, a WB series transformed Jane Porter into a NYPD detective, and Tarzan (Travis Fimmel) into her industrialist boyfriend. Sounds awful.