Oct 26, 2013
Victor McLaglen: Boxer turned Silent Movie Boyfriend
He often appeared in movies directed by the homophobic John Ford, costarring with the homophobic John Wayne.
Yet the gay subtexts were everywhere.
2. Beau Geste (1926). Buddy-bonding in the French Foreign Legion.
4. The Lost Patrol (1934). Soldiers lost in Mesopotamia during World War I take their shirts off while trying to find their way back home.
5. The Great Hotel Murder (1935). Victor and Edmund Lowe are back, now novelist and detective competing to see who can solve a murder.
7. The Quiet Man (1952). Victor plays an Irishman who doesn't like the idea of American John Wayne marrying his sister, so they fight, tearing up the town, and end up buddies.
8. The Abductors (1957). Victor and buddy Gavin Muir plot to steal the remains of Abraham Lincoln. No nudity, but by this point he's 69 years old.
Victor was married 3 times, but if you look closely at his personal life, you can find any number of provocatively intimate same-sex friendships.