Today's nature show hosts have learned that ratings depend on two things: you have to get out there, pat an elephant, shake hands with a tiger. And it's hot in the jungle. Take your shirt off! (And maybe get your crew to take their shirts off, too).
Here are the top 10 nature show hunks:
1. Troy Dann (left) of Outback Adventures (1998-99). More buffed and less heterosexist than Steve Irwin, and he added aboriginal culture to the mix.
4. Australian herpetologist Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter (1997-2004). He had the annoying habit of calling female crocodiles "darlin" and referring to them as his girlfriends, but his khaki shorts left little to the imagination.
5. Mr. Greenjeans of Captain Kangaroo (1955-1984). He only played with cute domesticated animals, like bunny rabbits, but at least he had a boyfriend.
Deviant Art -- it's amazing how often they're shipped (made into romantic partners) by eager fans.
8. Boomer Corwin (left) of Going Wild with Boomer Corwin, The Boomer Corwin Experience, and so on. He strips off his shirt at the drop of a script, and is rumored to be gay, in spite of his wife and kids. Maybe because of the episode where he frolicked in Cambodia with Anderson Cooper.
10. Stan Brock, man-mountain same program.
11. Dave Salmoni, a big-cat specialist who hosted Living with Tigers, Animal Face-Off, Expedition Impossible, Rogue Nature, and Into the Pride. He loves his gay fans, and often poses semi-nude for them.
Honorable mention goes to Chris Pontius and Steve-O of Wildboyz, and Mark Trail, actually a comic strip character.