Feb 3, 2016
100 Things To Do Before High School: New Nickelodeon Teencom with Major Hunkage
In the 1990s and early 2000s, it produced high quality, creative teencoms, with interesting premises and witty dialogue. Things you could actually sit through for reasons other than research.
Now, research or not, I can't bear to sit through The Thundermans and Henry Danger. The laugh tracks are constant, the characters are stupid, and the situations dull.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky, and Dawn is about...well, who knows? I can't stand it for even a few seconds.
But there may be a bright spot on the horizon: 100 Things To Do Before High School, created by Scott Fellows, who produced the gay-friendly Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide.
1. Central character C. J. (Isabela Moner)
2. Crispo (Owen Joyner), a mega-popular Golden Boy.
3. Fenwick (Jaheem King Tombs), the nerdish feminine black kid.
Except instead of rules for survival, each week they go through one item on a bucket list (their "bucket" is high school, not death). Some are sound advice (make a new friend, join a club), some are crazy:
1. Start a Garage Band
2. Run with Bears
3. Say "Yes" to Everything for a Day
4. Be a Fairy Godmother
5. Find Your Superpower
1. The guidance counselor (Jack De Sena of All That).
2. Two big brothers (Max Ehrich, Garrett Clayton).
3. Chazz Nittolo, who is billed as Gorgeous Eighth Grade Boy
We'll see whether it lives up to the glory days of Nickelodeon's gay subtext teencoms.
See also: Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide.; Garrett Clayton